Benefits of Surgical Sinuplasty
The benefits of sinuplasty are that there is less trauma to the surrounding tissue and the natural sinus openings are preserved. Recovery may also be faster than conventional sinus surgery. Not all patients are candidates for this type of sinus surgery. For example, sinuplasty is not effective in removing nasal polyps or in patients with extensive scarring of their sinus openings.
The goals of sinuplasty are similar to those in traditional sinus surgery. At Ohio ENT Associates we use sinuplasty to treat recurrent and chronic sinusitis that is not improved with adequate medical therapy.
- Sinuplasty is performed under general anesthesia.
- X-ray imaging is used to follow the course of the catheter to ensure it is in the proper sinus.
- Working endoscopically through the nose, our surgeons thread a catheter through the nostril and into the sinus cavity. See how the sinuses work.
- Attached to the catheter is a wire, which is then followed by a small balloon. The balloon is inflated and enlarges the sinus opening. This will then allow the sinus cavity to drain better.
- Like traditional sinus surgery, sinuplasty does not involve cutting through the skin, as it is performed entirely through the nostrils. Therefore, most people can go home the same day.